INW Posting Guidelines
Welcome! Please follow these guidelines and be part of a happy family!
How to Post Images
INW users may use our image hosting service and upload images directly from
their computer's hard drive.
Images can be posted in the INW image galleries by using the "Add your
Images" link provided at the top of each image category.
Please do comment on the posts of fellow photographers, they are always happy to get feedback on their posts.
Note - You must register yourself first in order to post in the
galleries and forums and to comment on images.
Please follow all posting guidelines given in detail below while posting your
images on INW. Any image found violating the posting guidelines will be promptly
Repeated violations will lead to disqualification from INW and your posting
rights will be withdrawn.
INW Image Galleries
Currently, (July 2013) there are eight image galleries to choose from. Please review the following gallery theme descriptions and place your image in the appropriate gallery.
- Birds Gallery - Images of birds found in India.
- Mammals Gallery - Images of mammals found in India
- Reptiles and Amphibians Gallery - Images of reptiles and amphibians found in India.
- Butterflies and Moths Gallery - Images of Butterflies and Moths found in India.
- Landscapes Gallery - Landscapes of India.
- Insects and other Invertebrates Gallery - Images of Insects and other invertebrates found in India.
- Flora Gallery - Images of plants and flowers found in India.
- Others Gallery - Any other nature related images from India that does not
fall in the above categories.
Image Posting Guidelines
- The person posting the image must hold the copyright to the image.
- As an exception, if you are posting an image on INW for which you do not
hold the copyright, but deem it of some value to INW viewers, kindly ensure that
you have the full written consent of the original photographer who holds the
copyright for that image. Kindly mention this consent as a comment in your post.
- Posting of any pirated material is strictly prohibited!
- Images must be of wildlife or nature shot in India.
- Kindly avoid posting images of captive living beings.
- Kindly avoid posting images of birds shot at their nesting site. Nesting
birds shot on or off their nest is a strict no on INW.
- Kindly avoid posting images of feral and domestic animals.
- English will be the language of all communication within INW.
- Select the single most appropriate gallery for your image. Please do not
post the same image in multiple galleries.
- We recommend that a descriptive title be used for your post.
- You can post one image per day.
- While basic "post-processing" is acceptable, please do not post
digitally altered or manipulated images on INW. Images where the subject has
been cut out and placed in a different background, morphed images and combining
two images of the same subject into one, adding elements that were not
originally preset while shooting are strongly discouraged. Remember, we do not
want to see what you did not see in the first place.Basic post-processing
would generally include the following:
- Crop & Straighten - To clean up and correct any issues with composition.
- Color Correction & White Balance - To correct any colour casts and
ensure the image colour is as accurate as possible.
- Exposure Correction - To improve the overall tonality and dynamic range
of the image.
- Contrast & Clarity - To bring back any missing punch and bring out
emphasis and detail.
- Sharpening - Where necessary to bring out any key details.
- Burning & Dodging - Brightening or darkening specific areas in an image,
but should be kept to a minimum and not done to the point where it is
- Suggested image size would be 1024 pixels on its longest side, including any
borders or "frames" applied to the image.
- Maximum file size for images that can be uploaded on INW is 400KB.
- Please consider the merit of your image before posting it. You are
encouraged to showcase the best of your images to the world!
- On the images you post please do not display anything other than your
copyright mark. URL's or names of commercial ventures and Advertisements are
- Do consider including the following information in your posts:
- Equipment information. By telling us what kind of equipment was used we will
have a better feel for what we can suggest.
- Camera settings, including shutter speed, aperture setting and exposure
compensation can also be useful to those offering their comments.
- Tell us where the image was taken and when. Do not disclose the exact
location where you shot the image. The city or State will do.
- Do use the "Tags" provided appropriately as they help in filtering data.
- Do ask for any specific feedback that you wish to receive on your image.
- Tell us what the image is about, what it means to you, and what motivated
you to make it.
- Please avoid hand-of-man images. Images of man made structures like temples
and houses are disallowed. Avoid landscape images of people farming, tea gardens
and the like.
- The only exception to this guideline are images of fellow nature lovers in
action. In case you are posting an image of a fellow nature lover, kindly get
the consent of that person before posting his image.
- Please do not post images derived from baiting a subject with a living
INW Discussion Forums
Currently (July 2013) we have the following forums on INW. Do choose the forum most suited to your topic and discuss freely. INW is strictly focused on sharing the joy that nature has on offer in a friendly manner. Discussion aiming at activism are strongly discouraged. INW encourages you to post your comments freely on the images posted in the galleries and participate actively in the discussion forums. Kindly do so in a cordial atmosphere. All kinds of commercial posts including any kind of advertisements are strongly discouraged.
- Trip Reports
- Nature Photography Related Discussion
- Nature Spot Pointers
- Image Processing Discussion
- India Nature Watch Site Feature Forum
- India Nature Watch Site Bugs Forum
Important Notice - These forums and galleries are intended solely for the purpose of sharing the joy that nature has on offer. The use of these forums for any other purpose is strictly forbidden. The INW Team reserves the right to edit, delete or close any thread or post deemed inappropriate and/or outside the intended scope of this site.
before using this site.
© India Nature Watch
Copyright of images are retained by respective copyright owners.
This is a non-commercial website. We do not solicit any commercial enquiries.